Thursday, November 6, 2014

Reasonable Guy 3: A Vote Not Wasted


I’ve heard it said that running for political office should disqualify one for the job. I subscribe to this notion, albeit from the cynical perspective that you’d have to be a fool to want most of those jobs on their own merits and a snake to want them with an agenda.

So where does that leave us? Like Diogenes looking for an honest man with a lantern in broad daylight? Could be.

With that in mind, let me tell you about my 2014 mid-term election experience.

There was a senate race in my state between a reactionary crackpot and a lazy opportunistic creep and a county attorney race where an arrogant two-fisted thief was running uncontested. I stared at them for a while and thought about smoking and necessary evils. I looked at the blanks underneath and smiled. I wrote myself in on both contests.

Did I throw away my votes? Possibly. But only because others, faced with the same unpalatable choice, were not doing the same thing.

So, here I am, offering an alternative to voting badly and wasting it entirely. I don’t want political office, but, if you can’t make a choice from the ballot, choose me. Do it by the hundreds and thousands. Say, with simple elegance that we need someone better, but we aren’t sitting home doing nothing.

PS. I am also looking for input. Does anyone know what the impact of a write-in winner would be? I don’t see how a machine could count hand-written replies, so I’m guessing it would require a manual recount. Then, if there is a clear winner, I would hope that a new election would be held for that office. I would further hope that anyone beaten under such circumstances would have the good grace not to run again.
Let me know what you know. Let me know what you think.


https://www.facebook.com/pages/Matthew-Alan-Moody-Write-In-Candidate/373093649515833?fref=nf

No comments:

Post a Comment