Monday, February 10, 2014

A Thinking Man's God Part I


     I’ve been thinking about religion a lot lately, which is unusual for me. I believe in God, know a fair amount of the Bible, but I do not, as a general rule, go to a place where people congregate for shared ritual. I don’t know if that makes me a bad person or not, but I have an awareness of God and a sincere hope that I will one day get to know the answers to some of my questions. When I was young and hot headed, I used to tell myself that I would insist on those answers, demand them in fact, but I have mellowed a bit with age.

     A few months ago, I engaged in a lively discussion with some amateur scholars about, among other things, Leviticus 18:22. The King James translation gives this to us as:

“Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.”

Even this wording is a little bit stilted; either that or it is stunningly progressive. Mankind, as I have been taught, is a word that, politically incorrectly perhaps, encompasses the whole human race. Identifying Womankind separately strikes me as odd, but I am sure this is a matter of interpretation.

In any case, this phrase is one commonly quoted by those who define homosexuality as immoral. This interpretation would run as follows:

“If you are a man, don’t have sex with men.”

That’s an interpretation of a translation. Also, the term abomination is an interesting word choice. Is it sinful? That would seem like a simpler word. Abomination, despite its impressive bearing as a word could mean something as simple as “societally frowned upon” or the more extreme “thing which could render you unclean.” At any rate, to put it in perspective, here are a few other things that have been placed under the header of abomination:

  • Eating pork
  • Lying
  • Cross-dressing
  • Usury – the loaning of money at interest.

Of the above list, Usury is one where the term abomination is used as a translation for the same term. Apparently homosexual men are no worse than bankers, if no better.

Please understand, I am not picking apart the original text, I am questioning translation and interpretation. For your consideration, I ran across an alternative translation which gives this little passage a significantly different meaning:

“And with a male, thou shalt not lie down in a woman's bed; it is an abomination.” (http://hoperemains.webs.com/leviticus1822.htm)

     It seems to say something similar, if not the same. However, the specific reference to “a woman’s bed” means something a little different today. We might to take it as a somewhat poetic metaphor for having heterosexual sex. However, when this was written, “a woman’s bed” was a very specific thing. A woman’s bed was her property and presumably the only place that a married man and woman lay together. I don’t think many of us would argue that having sex with someone else in your spouse’s bed is a pretty bad piece of behavior.

     It is also worth noting that this and other verses I have heard used to define homosexuality as taboo behavior in Christianity deal exclusively with male homosexuality. This could simply be gender bias of the time or simply an oversight, but a reading of the rest of Leviticus does not support this. There are some very specific portions on the proper method and content of burnt offerings. Moses seems very thorough, specific and not metaphoric.

     In any case, judgment belongs to God and no one else. From my semi-informed perspective, male homosexuality may or may not be explicitly frowned upon, but even if so, it is just that and not a sin. There is no commandment dealing with this.

     I have other issues regarding the organized practice of religion and what it motivates us to do and will hopefully be able to bend your ear about them in the future, but for now, I’d like to leave you with a paraphrase of George Carlin’s opinions about religion:

     Religion is sort of like a lift in your shoes. If it makes you feel better, fine. Just don't ask me to wear your shoes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment